Last week, I found some pre-cut wool and linen in my workbasket, packed with a bobbin of embroidery floss. I’m pretty sure it’s from a kit someone gave me – alas, I do not remember who. So I whipped up a new pouch for Mathghamhain Ua Ruadháin, to relieve some of the strain on the nålbound pouch I made him a while back. This one is phone sized, with space for business cards, flyers, and pens.
To make the pouch, I began by folding the top and bottom edges of the wool rectangle over the top and bottom edges of the linen rectangle and blanket stitched them in place.
Next, I blanket stitched the wool and linen raw edges (together) along both sides (red cotton floss). Then I folded the rectangles in half, and blanket stitched them together along each side (yellow tapestry wool).
I printed out Mathghamhain’s rowan berry badge, which is fieldless, at 3.5″ wide. I cut out the berries and stem, and drew around the cutout with my chalk pen. Then I free-handed the interior detail with the chalk pen.
I used red cotton embroidery floss to chain stitch the berries, for berry-like roundness and sheen. Then I switched to brown tapestry wool to stem stitch the stem. For… stem-ness. And a bark-like texture.
The drawstring channels were susceptible to rubbing, so to prevent fraying & reinforce the raw edges, I whipped the open ends with blue cotton embroidery floss. I like the color pop.
Conveniently, I had some lucet cord on hand (imagine that!), freshly washed and ready to deploy.
I strung one long loop of cord through the drawstring channels with enough slack to hang them on a belt.
Test fit successful!