Mid-November, 2020, I was honored to be recruited by my Vicereine (ceremonial head of the NYC-area SCA group) to help make regalia for the newest inductee into our Order of the Sea Urchin of Østgarðr. The Sea Urchin is for youth who excel in service, arts or martial accomplishment — “and” in the case of this extremely deserving young person.
A friend asked for help stitching Girl Scout patches, so I made her a video, since we don’t live near each other. The technique is the same as I would use to appliqué trim or an embroidered element onto a medieval garment, so I share with you the video I made for her.
My husband managed to catch his braes on something and tear an L-shaped rip into them. Conveniently, I had some leftover fabric from making two pairs of them, and was able to patch using the same fabric. Given the shape and amount of tear, I opted for a darn-and-patch solution. Continue reading “A thing of rags and patches — mending braes”
Process photos and additional construction information coming soon….
I am in desperate need of a new chemise. I want it to be short enough that it doesn’t show or need hiking up under my tunic / cote / peplos / overdress. I need it to be comfortable, not fitted too closely to my body (which changes shape on an irritatingly regular basis), and luxurious. Continue reading “Chemise”
Among the things I routinely do wrong is thread my Singer treadle sewing machine. Threaded incorrectly, stitching produces a clotted mass of threads on the back.
My machine is a Singer model 66-1 with red-eye (also known as red-head) decals, produced some time after April 18, 1921. Continue reading “Threading the treadle needle”